Here are the notes so far:
- opening scene as main character stands in front of bonfire –> made of all the “words and cards and letters” he ever wrote (ref: Waterboys – “Medicine Bow”).
- is he running away? or is it needful?
- redemption theme
- Is he gay?
- character does some sort of figurative trip to Hell, deal with powers of Hell, defeat demon? –> tells enemy, “Hell says hello.” (ref: Flogging Molly – “Worst Day Since Yesterday”)
- Draw on mythology, fantasy –> urban/modern. Long strange trip.
- Relationship of open hatred (mutual) yet forced cooperation; are rivals for prize?
- concept of a wild calling (ref: Flogging Molly – “Worst Day Since Yesterday”)
- castle in Illinois? Group of friends living together in it? Owned by mysterious novelist? Is that our narrator? (ref: Stronghold)
- main character is Fithian Rankin
- section names
- “The House You Live In” by Gordon Lightfoot – sort of proverb; “hear, my son, and heed my advice.”